On October 28 the American Academy of Pediatrics updated their media/screentime recommendations for children and youth, published in the journal Pediatrics. The paper includes recommendations for healthcare providers, schools, and parents.
Recommendations for parents:
- Limit the amount of total entertainment screen time to < 1 to 2 hours per day.
- Discourage screen media exposure for children < 2 years of age.
- Keep the TV set and Internet-connected electronic devices out of the child ’ s bedroom.
- Monitor what media their children are using and accessing, including any Web sites they are visiting and social media sites they may be using.
- Co-view TV, movies, and videos with children and teenagers, and use this as a way of discussing important family values.
- Model active parenting by establishing a family home use plan for all media. As part of the plan, enforce
a mealtime and bedtime “ curfew ” for media devices, including cell phones. Establish reasonable but
ﬁrm rules about cell phones, texting, Internet, and social media use.
The full set of recommendations are available in the journal Pediatrics.